Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Yeehaa!

It’s time again for another Regional team building event.  We hadn’t had a Regional gathering since our trip to Anji in June (see Anji antics! post - Friday, 22 June 2012), and since then another school has joined our Region.  Sure, you see people at meetings, trainings and on the social scene, but it’s always nice to have a whole group gathering.  I heard another Region in the city had recently celebrated by having a dinner and black tie award ceremony at a very swish downtown hotel, so was excited to see what was in store for us.  Having received an email asking if any of the Senior Teachers had rodeo experience, I shouldn’t have been surprised when our fun loving Aussie Production Manager’s choice of theme was revealed – COW: Cowboy or Western!

 Also held at a swish hotel in the Jing’An area of the city, this all expenses paid all you can eat & drink event was an award ceremony with a twist – the guest of honour was a mechanical bull!  Reminiscing about my backpacker antics, I clearly recall coming in second place at a mechanical bull riding competition in Kroombit Cattle Station in Biloela, Queensland!

The Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse
'Bessie'!
 
Having ordered cowboy hats and neckerchiefs for staff at our school, we all rolled up decked out in denim and checked shirts – looking fabulous!  After enjoying the buffet and award ceremony the activities began.  These included line dancing, pool shark competition and Texas hold ‘em poker.  Having a bit of nous, I’d signed up for the second round of the ‘bucking bronco’ activity, figuring fewer people would be around to stare by that point in the proceedings – I was right!  Getting a swift ‘leg up’ from a fellow Senior Teacher, I felt quite at ease on the bull’s back.  It had been about five years since I’d attempted this, but I was still quietly confident.  On my first attempt I lasted a very respectable 34 seconds, gathering more attention than I’d first anticipated. 

 A few hours later, after most of the Chinese staff had called it a night, a second attempt was on the cards.  With a slightly numb bum from my first try I still managed to hold on for 45 seconds.  Upping the stakes, some of the guys decided to see who had the bigger manhood by riding ‘Bessie’ blindfolded and backwards, needless to say they didn’t hold on for very long!  The next challenge was to see if tandem bull riding was a possibility – and it was.  A male colleague and I jumped on and did pretty well, we didn’t last a full minute, like one of the other ‘couples’, but still made it over 30.
 
Another great event, thanks EF.

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment