Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Tuesday 18 December 2012

I'm shocked you're shocked

From my point of view, life as an expat has many advantages: fantastic travel opportunities, great career prospects, a nicer and more affordable standard of living than the U.K. offers, a diverse network of friends and colleagues – I could go on.  But for some, life as an expat holds far more cons than pros.  I’m referring again to my old friend culture shock (see ‘Culture shock’ post – Friday, 15 April 2011).  This year I haven’t experienced this at all, for me China provides enough familiarity, with an equal amount of quirky differences, for which I am appreciative.  For others, the balance just isn’t there and China seems so drastically different to ‘normality’ (whatever that may be), that Mr. C Shock comes knocking.

It’s nice to have a basis for comparison as an expat & EFL teacher.  My experiences in Vietnam have undoubtedly helped me to easily adjust to living and working in China.  As I’ve previously mentioned (see ‘Familiarity’ post – Wednesday, 21 March 2012), less travelled newcomers comment on daily challenges they find and differences they do not always appreciate about living in an Asian country.  A colleague recently mentioned they would take inspiration from me and the way I deal with situations I encounter in China, which was very humbling from someone for whom I have such great professional respect.  In short, we can all learn from one another and should strive to help each other with our demons.

These personal battles can build up inside people and should not be underestimated.  Seeing friends and co-workers seemingly ‘melt’ in front of your eyes isn’t a nice thing to experience.  Factors such as work demands, living situations, social experiences and friend/family matters back in their home countries can all tip people over the edge.
 
However, friends and colleagues who have previously lived in developing countries/second tier cities in China feel disbelief that anyone could ever find life in Shanghai a ‘culture shock’.  After my time in Vietnam I genuinely feel I could live anywhere: it’s the small things here that I appreciate so much, but without that basis for comparison others just can’t relate.

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment