Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Sunday 19 February 2012

Hi from the 'Hai

So here I am again, full of vigour and brimming with enthusiasm.  A new country, different company (in more ways than one) and cooler climate; I find myself in Shanghai.  I’m feeling surprisingly spritely after a long flight, which incidentally reminded me of an amusing story that, until now, has escaped my blog…

During my flight from Vietnam, I spent 4 hours between Istanbul and Manchester watching my eastern European neighbour.  Perched next to me, he persisted in pressing his TV screen in the hope of watching a movie, oblivious to the remote control neatly stored in the armrest of his chair, which controlled the device.  Occasionally, he would get a little excited when his repeated stubby finger stabs coincided with the screensaver moving, alas to no avail.  Having watched a couple of movies and mediocre American drama series on my equivalent device, I sat quietly chuckling at his technophobic ways.  Wrong of me, maybe – but after a year of offering help, advice and directions to western damsels in distress in Saigon, I needed a rest!  Anyway, I digress…

Shanghai: cooler, cleaner and more cosmopolitan than Saigon, or indeed anywhere in Vietnam.  I can already tell I’m going to love it here.  After a year living in a developing country, this seems like heaven.  So far I've signed the usual paperwork, had a tour of Head Office, a welcome lunch with our recruiters, been introduced to a local bar by my new boss (who is a very easy going Aussie guy), had a tour of my school, met my colleagues and successfully navigated the metro (which is far cleaner than the London, Paris or New York equivalents) whilst sightseeing.

Happy days. More to come…
A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment