Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Saturday 13 October 2012

Quite a reception

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending my first Chinese wedding reception.  An excellent opportunity to experience a traditional celebration and a fabulous excuse to dress up, I had been looking forward to this for quite some time. 
 
Walking into the grand room I first noticed the marble and mirrored pillars, then the chandeliers, dark drapes and marble stage.  Next I see the happy couple, waiting to greet me.  The bride wore a traditional red silk Chinese dress, with matching flat shoes; the groom - a burgundy collarless suit.
 
Upon arrival you are requested to have your photos and video taken with the bride & groom, then just with the groom, then lovingly embracing the bride, then holding the gift of a hóngbāo (red envelope) that is traditionally given at such events.  Your next task is to sign the wedding book, which got the attention of numerous onlookers as they watched me write, obviously in English using Roman alphabet.  Being led to my seat, to my surprise I found I was seated on the Chinese equivalent of the ‘top table’.  In China, this is not reserved for the bride & groom’s family, but for them to share with their closest friends: a wonderful surprise and great honour.
 
The MC announces the happy couple and they come walking down a red aisle, to a stage draped in red organza and decorated with the Chinese sign for ‘happiness’.  The bride, wearing an ornate veil over her head and face, approaches with her groom in hand, while the happy couple’s parents sit on either side of the stage to greet them.  After lots of speeches and incomprehensible Chinese chit chat, the groom lifts the bride’s veil, using something similar to a chunky chopstick, revealing her beaming smile, and all applaud.  The couple then present their parents with drinks, before themselves drinking wine from glasses whose stems are tied together by a single red ribbon.  They do this while linking arms, which strangely reminded me of many an alcohol fuelled night, drinking shots of sambuca with friends in a similar manner!  Food follows – and lots of it - fabulous food of all kinds. My favourite dishes were the duck pancakes, sweet and sour fish & the lobster. 
 
Entertainment came in the form of paper plane throwing competitions, and the children in attendance were then given balloons, stuffed and/or inflatable animal toys.  Then came the bouquet toss. Being announced in Chinese I naturally had no idea what was going to happen, until the groom’s mother took me by the hand and led me on to the stage, to join a relatively small group of unmarried girls… and guys.  Yes, it’s all about equal opportunities here in China – men too can catch the bouquet!  Needless to say, my arms stayed firmly welded to my sides as the red organza bouquet was flung through the air by the bride & groom.  For the record an overweight Chinese guy dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, sporting a ponytail caught it.
 
The lighting of the cigarettes was next on the agenda – I kid you not.  The bride and groom, armed with enough packets of matches and cigarettes to keep the most enthusiastic of chain smokers happy for years, walk around the room offering cigarettes to guests who so wish to inhale the nastiness.  It’s rather a big deal and takes quite some time.  With approximately 160 guests dotted around 16 tables the room turns in to something of a gas chamber.
 
I was one of only two western faces at the wedding reception, and was made to feel very welcome indeed.  The bride and grooms’ parents thanking me for attending and randomers offering ‘hello’s’ and trying to practice their broken English.
 
To Ronny & Jessica, may you have a long and happy married life together.  Thank you for letting me share in your special day.
Lots of love.
A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment