Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Sunday 28 October 2012

It's a family affair

Last year I discouraged my family from visiting Vietnam; the dirt, heat, humidity and all that comes with a developing country in the tropics didn’t seem like the kind of place they would lovingly embrace – even for a short holiday.  This year, however, I was keen to share my life here with them: selling Shanghai as ‘the New York of Asia’.  Both well travelled, worldly wise ladies, this would be Mum’s first visit to Asia and my Aunt’s second visit to China.  Nine days in Shangers, followed by four days in Hong Kong seemed a nice way to ease little Mumsy in to Chinese culture, whilst still maintaining some western familiarity.

New experiences included wandering around the French Concession, visiting the Jade Buddha Temple; taking a trip to my school to meet my fantastic colleagues, a night time tour of the Bund with Cathy; drinks in one of my favourite tipple-tastic wine bars; lunch with a friend in an English themed restaurant; exploring the alleys and lanes of Tianzifang with its many arts and crafts curio shops; shopping and taking in the scenery at the Yu garden; bartering and driving hard bargains at one of the markets; and getting up close to the towers in Pudong.

 
 
As I had to work on the Saturday, Mum & Aunt had the perfect opportunity to spend time with one of my friends, in the form of a daytrip to Hangzhou.  Once off the bullet train they mooched around the lake, gardens and pagodas offered a glimpse of a second tier city and slower pace to Chinese life.

Our final evening in Shangers offered a new cultural dining experience for the pair when we were invited to a Korean BBQ.  I’m a big fan of Korean food and always enjoy a do-it-yourself BBQ.  With four friends as company we consumed a feast of BBQ meats, kimchee and the like.  An excellent way to end the trip and another example of how wonderful and considerate my Chinese friends are.

It was wonderful to see them again after so long and great to share my new life.
A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment