Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Thursday 1 March 2012

Down to business

The inevitable occurred the other day, whilst eating lunch with friends in a small restaurant – I needed the little girls’ room.  Having avoided using public lavatories here since my arrival, the thought wasn’t a pleasing one.  Opening the door revealed what I suspected, something far from a western water closet.

Unfortunately, squaring up to this porcelain plateau wasn’t an alien concept.  They are commonly found in Vietnamese roadside service stations and thankfully I’d only had to acquaint myself with one once before.  To my surprise, there was toilet tissue, a sink and soap.  To my dismay, there was also an oversized plunger!

After carefully weighing up the situation, I left in search of a more familiar receptacle.  Luckily, Burger King lay only a few blocks away, preventing the use of primitive potties and the appearance of wet patches.

With an abundance of western fast food chains strewn around the city, I should be able to avoid such scenarios a wee while longer!

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment