Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Monday 17 October 2011

When two worlds collide

It’s always nice to be reminded of home… if sometimes a little strange.  Mr Amy’s visits have been most welcomed, but also a little surreal.  My life here is so vastly different from the UK and being reminded of those differences readies me a little for the reverse culture shock I’m mentally preparing myself for when I return to the UK in December.

 

A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by an old university friend.  He and his girlfriend (whom I also know from our student days) were travelling South East Asia before heading off to Australasia.  HCMC would form part of their route and they were keen to meet up.  Fantastic; some fresh, friendly and familiar faces to add to the mix.

 

A little surreal at first, some people you just associate with certain spaces.  In the dark recesses of my mind, these guys should be standing in our dimly lit student union bar on a Saturday night, with a pint of snakebite in hand, not using chopsticks and drinking Saigon green!  Nevertheless, awesome to catch up with them, reminisce about our tax dodging years and add a few new memories to the mix.

 

Happy travels you lucky pair, I’m not jealous at all!

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment