Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Monday 9 May 2011

Forty winks

As someone who once slept through an earthquake in Mexico (measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale) and was regularly unaware of my family burglar alarm going off in the wee small hours, I consider myself a pretty sound sleeper; but the Vietnamese put me to shame.  Anywhere and everywhere here people doze.  Whether they’re lying flat out on the seats of their scooters or using a makeshift hammock strung under a truck – nothing will come between them and their afternoon nap.  And rightly so might I add, most locals rise about 5:00am and in my opinion well deserve a power nap by the time 12:30pm arrives.  I myself have on the odd occasion taken to having a wee snooze in the arvo – well, if you can’t beat them you may as well join them!

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment