Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Sunday 10 April 2011

Genius 'Jumpies'

The proudest moment to date in my teaching career came a week or so ago when my class of Jumpstarts took their mid-course speaking test. At the ages of 4-6 years, my little ones aren’t burdened with the usual written assessments that other levels have the pleasure of enduring.  Instead, they each take turns to answer some questions from the course book whilst sitting with me ‘on blue’ (the blue gym mats we use instead of desks). Thankfully my two teaching assistants were on hand to entertain the others with a variety of storybooks and colouring worksheets.

Two of the eighteen answered all questions correctly and the weakest student only got 8 questions wrong.  Needless to say, Miss Amy was very pleased with her kiddies – Oh dear, referring to myself in the third person: that must stop.  I envy their linguistic capabilities more than any other level I teach. They have a clear advantage over many language learners and will probably be fluent English speakers by their teenage years if they persevere with the classes.

I sometimes wish I was pre-programmed to understand all the world’s languages, but if we all had that quality I suppose I’d be out of a job!

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment