Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Never a dull moment

Even after more than a year in Shanghai I’m still finding new and exciting places to explore within the city. Over recent weeks, I’ve taken trips to the PowerStation of Art, Old Slaughterhouse, and a replica of the Central Perk coffee house that features in TVs ‘Friends’. M50 art district is an area of galleries, sculptures and graffiti walls – an amalgamation of arty visual treats. Revisiting much loved Shanghai attractions such as Yu Garden can also offer up new surprises depending upon the time of year and festivals being celebrated.






The recent warm, sunny weather has provided the perfect opportunity to spent time sauntering around Shanghai Botanical Gardens. This vast open space of rockeries, bamboo, magnolias and maples provides a peaceful spot to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The imposing structure named Conservatory 1 was home to some of the most brilliantly vibrant orchids I’ve ever seen and the scenic lift to the top gave us a stunning view from 6 floors above the gardens, as well as making us feel a little warmer than upon entry. The Penjing garden was home to hundreds of bonsai trees, all neatly lined up to be individually admired. There are also a tea houses, a boating lake and temple in its grounds.

There are so many things on my to-do list here. I have yet to see Shanghai Circus World and gaze in awe at the spectacular skills of the Chinese acrobats; I long to visit Longhua temple; and still need to scream like a banshee at Happy Valley theme park. Having recently learnt of Happy Chocolate Land & Napoleon Chocolate Bar I also know the girls & I will have many moreish outings.


Add to that the Andy Warhol exhibition, Red Town sculpture park, Korean Bath House & Mr X Mystery House (where visitors are locked in themed rooms with clues and props and have exactly an hour to work out how to escape) and I can see myself being kept busy over the next few months. Further reasons why I love this city.
 
A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment