Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Saturday 24 November 2012

Ebb & flow

Now almost ten months in to my time here in China and there have been a lot of changes.  Our school has grown at a phenomenal rate, with a far larger team of staff than when I first joined.  Some members of staff have been with the company many years, whilst others stay only a short time.  The EFL world is a very transient industry and the passage of teachers coming and going is more evident this year as I work in a far smaller school.   

Looking back on my time in Shanghai I can almost mark the seasons by recalling whose company I kept.  Longer term friends in the city have commented how they can delete people from their phonebooks on an almost monthly basis, not due to any falling out, merely because friends have returned to their home countries, or moved on to pastures new.  As friends and colleagues leave, to be replaced by others, it’s still a little sad to know even though you’ll stay in touch via many online communication networks, they won’t be around in Shanghai to phone or text and arrange social events with.

A close friend returned home yesterday and I know I’m going to feel this loss more than most so far.  Have a wonderful time back home hun, I’m so happy for you but also sad in an utterly selfish way. Much love and thanks for the laughs and happy memories.

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment