Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Wednesday 29 August 2012

KTV

Something I have avoided like the plague since the year dot, I’ve recently found myself partaking in a little too often here in Shanghai.  Karaoke (KTV) is a popular pastime with the Chinese, come rain or shine, at any time of the day or night.  And it turns out it’s damn good fun, even sober!
 
Luxuriously decorated rooms, usually furnished with leather sofas, large tables, flat screen TVs, percussion instruments and more food & drink than you could wish to consume, provide all you could need for usually 6 or so hours of good, clean, wholesome fun.  Should you want more munchies during the course of your stay, the push of a button will summon a staff member to see to your every whim… well, within reason.
 
It’s a particular favourite of the local staff at our school, who have recently taken to arranging team building events and birthday celebrations at different KTV venues around the city.  After each song, the press of a button or two leads to applause, laughter or booing resonating around the room.  The various disco light settings also add to the party ambiance.  Songs can be selected in English, Chinese, Korean and a few others, depending upon the venue.  And even better, it’s only about 20RMB per person, sometimes free if your friend’s parents happen to own the KTV joint! 

To my surprise, I find I now have my own back catalogue of tunes I can contently belt out, in the company of friends and co-workers!  Fabulous fun.
A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment