Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Pudong skyline, Shanghai
Pudong skyline, Shanghai

Sunday 22 April 2012

Butt out

I’m loving my time in Shanghai, it’s so vastly different from Vietnam and is offering me the best of both worlds, Asian and Western lifestyles combined. There is, however, one thing that I find utterly unpleasant about life in China, the prevalence of cyanide sticks that everyone seem to inhale. Smoking is cheap and extremely common here, as in Vietnam and Cambodia. I have known colleagues to take up smoking during their time in Asia because of this. As such non-smokers may feel they are constantly surrounded by a smoke screen during their time here. People smoke everywhere, in lifts, public toilets, shopping centres, restaurants and bars; often whilst standing next to ‘no smoking’ signs. This is something I have really come to appreciate about the UK.

I remember during a trip to Dublin in the summer of 2004, some of my university friends felt very put out by having to stand outside bars and restaurants to inhale their coffin nails. At that time, the smoking ban had yet to be implemented in the UK and it was only after visiting Eire that we all realised just what a difference it made. Non-smokers in the UK and Ireland now take it for granted that such areas will be smoke free, and living in Asia makes you appreciate the clean air in such venues. I miss coming home from a night out with the sweet smell of my chosen perfume still permeating my nostrils. Here, it just doesn’t happen, no amount of pungent perfume can fend off or mask the stinking ciggie stench. Your hair and clothes require washing ASAP to rid yourself of that nasty, lingering nicotine nastiness.

Alas, I can’t see China implementing this anytime soon so I shall continue to suffer the stench.

A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment